Wes 101: Asking for Help

Wes 101: Asking for Help

Dear ’23,
I hope things are going well and you’re getting ready for Fall Break, which is from 10/19 to 10/22.

Once we return to campus, second-quarter courses begin, so I’ve attached a list of these courses. You must add or drop second-quarter courses within the five working days of the first class meeting. Here is the form.

Keep in mind that Family Weekend/Homecoming will be here before we know it; it’s from November 1 to 3.

Asking for Help

There is simply nothing more important than learning to self-advocate and becoming comfortable asking for help. Some students initially see this as a sign of vulnerability, but it is not that at all. It is a savvy use of your resources. These resources include your instructors, who have regular office hours. Make sure that you’re going to office hours, as you can ask questions about the material or upcoming assignments, get to know your instructor better and more importantly, have them get to know you.

From our Peer Advisor, Haley:

Some students have a difficult time locating where/when office hours are for faculty, administrators, etc. if you google Professor/Administrator “[First Name] [Last Name] Wesleyan,” the faculty/administrator page comes up and the office location/hours are listed there. Office hours are usually run on a first-come first-served basis, which gives students an opportunity to ask questions and engage outside of class. Some professors’ office hours are by appointment only; don’t be discouraged! Simply see when they are teaching (available on their faculty page) and send them an email with times you might be available to set something up.

Please make sure that you’re also communicating with and reaching out to your other resources as necessary, which include:

Your faculty advisor
Teaching Assistants
Writing Tutors (sign up here)
Peer Tutors (sign up here)
Peer Advisors (who can help with academic/study skills); the class of ’23 works with Haley Brumberger, Jack Wang and Sydney Taylor-Klaus
Math Workshop
Library/Personal research session
STEM Zone|

Make sure you’re being communicative and that you’re in touch as early as possible about something. If you wait until the last minute (or even after that), faculty members may not be as receptive to your request.

A few announcements:

Peer to Peer: Advice to First-Year Student Athletes
Fri, Oct 25 12:15 pm EDT – 1:15 pm EDT
Gordon Career Center,

Tour Guide Position Now Open
https://www.wesleyan.edu/finaid/employment/availablepositions/Admission/Tour%20Guide%20-%20ADM59.html

Meet Sarah Pietryka, our class year’s point person in Financial Aid!

Hello! My name is Sarah Pietryka. I am an Assistant Director of Financial Aid and the Financial Aid Class Director for the Class of 2023! In the Wesleyan Financial Aid Office, an assistant director follows a class from their first year through their senior year, so I will be your go-to person for all things financial aid over the next four years. I really like this structure, as it allows me to get to know many of you, and, hopefully, makes what can be a difficult topic and process a little easier. As the first year financial aid class director, I counsel on the subject of financial aid, review all financial aid applications, and determine financial aid packages for members of the Class of 2023. Within the Financial Aid Office, I also serve as a backup for some of the processes involving our database, assist with keeping the website updated, and assist with some of the office reporting. I have been in my position at Wesleyan for a little over a year. Prior to working at Wesleyan, I worked in financial aid at Weill Cornell Medicine in New York City. I moved to NYC after I graduated from college and lived there for five years. I absolutely loved living in the city, but was ready for some fresh air and green space, probably because I am originally from Vermont, which brought me to Connecticut. I live here with my partner, Ike, who I met in college at the University of Vermont, and our two fur-babies, our cats Winnie and Pippin. Ike and I love to travel, and try to venture to a new place once a year. In my free time, I love to get to the beach for a walk and to sit down with a good book. It has been a pleasure getting to know some of you over the past few months, and I hope to continue to meet many of you, so please feel free to stop by the Financial Aid Office in North College to say hi, or email me at spietryka@wesleyan.edu.

That’s it for this week! Please continue to be in touch.
Best,
DW